Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Delivery Do's and Don'ts

***WARNING!***

This post is mostly a rant. It may be fun or it may be annoying. Read at your own peril! :)

Alright, so I no longer work at Jimmy John's Gourmet Subs. I LOVED working there...usually. You see, I was a delivery driver, which means I would bag up orders, make sure they had everything, and deliver them to people in our area. I learned a ton from this! Thus, my list of bad things and good things to do.

No-nos:

  1. Tick-Tock goes the clock...and I'm still here! Please do not keep your driver waiting at a desk for long periods of time. Hint: 2 minutes is long for a delivery driver. If you are getting your cash out or something, just tell them. If you are doing something else, take a minute, get your food, and let them leave. If you expect your food to get there in a timely manner, let your driver make deliveries in a timely manner. That way, everybody might just be happy.
  2. The number you have dialed cannot be reached at this time. If you are going to order a delivery, there is a chance your food might have a hard time getting there. The delivery driver may need to call you. Calling you does not help them if you do not answer. It is only annoying and time consuming. Please, I beg you, ANSWER YO PHONE!!!!
  3. Grrr, what's up with yo pen?!?!?! Each delivery at Jimmy John's took about 10-20 minutes. That means, when busy, I could take anywhere from 9-18 deliveries in a short shift. If I only work short shifts for a week (something I never did), I could take 54-108 deliveries in a week. That means my pen gets a lot of use everyday. My pen will die at some point and sometimes it may just stop working. Please do not hate on my pen for getting tired and trying to quit on you. Instead, if you pay with a credit card, keeping a pen handy would be great. This is optional, but much encouraged by moi!
  4. No Ice please. I would NEVER have thought of this if I had never had this job, but saying no ice in your drink makes driving really crazy. Not because they have to remember to not put ice in. No, it's because a drink without ice is about 10 times more likely to spill all over your driver's lap and everywhere else too. I totally understand why people don't want ice, but saying "EZ ice" will make it so your driver has an easier time and you get your entire drink, since it didn't spill all over their lap, car, hand, etc.
Gold Stars on your forehead:
  1. How's it going? Your driver is a person too. They would love to hear a little about you or your day or be asked about their day. JOKES ARE SOOOOOO HELPFUL!!! If you can get a wise crack in, you get extra points and you also deserve a hug. :)
  2. Building 13, Ground Floor, North Side. Directions are soooooooo important to a driver. Let them know if you are in a house, apartment building, RV park, or business. Tell them the name of the business, what floor it is on, if you have to use a certain door, what side of the complex it is on, ANYTHING! You know how you give your friends instructions on how to get where you are? Your driver needs the same info sometimes, and if you don't give it, your food may be delayed and they may have to call you. THANK GOODNESS for those who understand to give directions and extra delivery instructions.
  3. Keep the Change!   You do not have to give a large tip! All we ask is you try to give any tip. When delivering a 4 dollar sandwich, I do not expect a 5 dollar tip. Give me a couple coins and I'm good! 10-20% is considered polite, so that would be 40-80 cents. See? No biggie.
  4. Here's your pen. I love these people! Trying to be as fast as you can leads to forgetting things sometimes. Or sometimes, my pen winds up on the other side of your food. It is really weird when you have to reach across someone just to pick up a pen so the next delivery can sign their receipt. So, applause for those who remember to return my pen! YOU ROCK!!!!
Anyway, these are probably the most important things that I learned from being a driver. I also learned that the Jimmy John's in Provo, Utah is AMAZING! I love the people that work there so much. They are a great group that have a lot of fun and know how to do their jobs. Applause for these amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at anytime!